Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  
Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy
Guest_
Hi all,

Has anyone on this forum had an experience with hypnosis or hypnotherapy? Did it help you? How?

Also, does anyone know of Hawkins mentioning hypnosis or hypnotherapy at all? If you remember, please post what you remember and if you can, the book/audio tape it was in.
Posted on: 2014/11/1 19:37
  •  
Re: Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy
Guest_
I've had experience with hypnosis and it does help.

Dr. Hawkins mentioned hypnotherapy many times, I just don't remember a specific example right now. He did have hypnotherapists working in his clinic, so obviously he valued their work enough to employ them.
Posted on: 2014/11/2 16:59
  •  
Guest_
Hi WaterNice,

Dr. Hawkins does mention it a couple of times in the book Healing and Recovery. You can find a detailed example in the "Aging" chapter.

An old chap got hypnotized and started moving like a 20 year old again, jumping around. He was woken up, and then struggled to even get out of his chair.

Any feedback on problems like smoking, addiction etc. that some of you got over with through hypnosis? (personally I'm scared of what an ill intentioned hypnotist might put in my mind ever since I saw The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
Posted on: 2014/11/3 6:39
  •  
Guest_
I have some training in doing hypnosis on people and I can assure you it's not a mind control trick that is portrayed to be in the media. Only in the very deepest stages of hypnosis (5 or 6 out of 6) can you make people do stuff and forget it afterward. But that's used only in stage hypnosis.

For most things, stage 1 hypnosis is sufficient and most people are very aware of what's happening. The only thing one could do in stage 1 is tell you that you won't be able to open your eyes and then ask you to open your eyes. If you open your eyes, you're not at stage 1 yet.

It is a very useful tool. I can record myself and hypnotize myself. I've not done that for a while not. Might get back to it.

If any of y'all wanna try it out, maybe I can do it over skype.

What it is basically is just get you to a very relaxed place where your conscious mind is blocked out a bit, you're still aware of everything that's spoken, but the main interest is to access the subconscious mind.
Posted on: 2014/11/4 19:36
  •  
Guest_
Okay, thank you for the precision.

Did you manage to change yourself - any habit or else - with hypnosis?

Ps: I remember Dr Hawkins, saying you will not grow in consciousness through hypnosis. My idea is that it can be a good short term solutions to get free of a problem quickly (the underlying emotions, having not been let go of, would probably be reallocated elsewhere, hence the absence of growth). But that is just theory.

Thanks for sharing your experience. And yeah, I should have thought that, if the media say it is so, then it's probably not!
Posted on: 2014/11/5 7:53
  •  
Guest_
Hypnosis has helped me, but it seemed to not be permanent. For the habits and such. I also have techniques for getting rid of fear, anger, shame and things like that and it's really hard to measure how much it helps, but it can help. Now I don't know if that is also a temporary phenomenon or a permanent thing or if it can uplift people's consciousness.

I find even my spiritual progress, or lack thereof, hard to measure, because obviously you can't calibrate yourself. All I can honestly say is that I've done some progress (maybe) and that's it.

Doc, in Letting Go, alludes to this, writing "Now, because we never think of it we don't realize that it has gone" so for letting go he says some people keep track of the progress, a chart of gains as it were.

That's so true - once a feeling is gone and enough time has passed, you don't consciously realize that your anxiety is smaller, ect..

In Carl Jung's Memories, Dreams, Reflections, which is a partial autobiography /biography, he mentions hypnosis:

"In the beginning I employed hypnosis in my private practice also, but soon gave it up because in using it one is only groping in the dark. One never knows how long an improvement or sure will last and I always had computation about working with such uncertainty nor was I fond of deciding on my own what the patient ought to do" p.120

I'm very interested in the quote where Doc says that hypnosis doesn't raise the level of consciousness. Do you know where he said it or wrote it?
Posted on: 2014/11/5 22:52
  •  
Guest_
I'm not quite sure. I think it's when he talks about revisiting past lifetimes through hypnosis.

It's probably in the first Satsang, but that's 4 hours to screen through, to find a quote that might not be there.

Thanks for the great quote, this man amazes me everytime I read him.
Posted on: 2014/11/6 11:09
  •  
Guest_
Quote:

Naptaq wrote:
In Carl Jung's Memories, Dreams, Reflections, which is a partial autobiography /biography, he mentions hypnosis:

"In the beginning I employed hypnosis in my private practice also, but soon gave it up because in using it one is only groping in the dark. One never knows how long an improvement or sure will last and I always had computation about working with such uncertainty nor was I fond of deciding on my own what the patient ought to do" p.120

A good hypnotherapist doesn't decide what their client ought to do. Hypnotherapy sessions are structured in hour segments, with the first ~30 minutes being talk therapy. During talk therapy the therapist asks what you want changed, how you want to change it, and what life will be like once this change has taken place -- the therapist then feeds back what you told, as suggestions, while you're in the hypnotic state.
Posted on: 2014/12/2 17:49
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post

Array

Spiritual Bazaar

Beware, the Path
is straight and narrow.
We do not endorse these ads
They're computer generated

Thanks Top Posters

1 Robcore 1419
2 TimD 1387